Wrinkles are the death knell of youth. We check the mirror ever day, hoping to find nothing, wincing when we see that line or crack forming along the brow. That’s why there’s no small market for products and treatments that keep those buggers away. How can you prevent wrinkles and have the treatment actually, you know, work?
Keeping our skin looking perfect is kind of a lifetime exercise. Nothing’s going to work totally and forever, but there are a few things that will keep us looking younger longer. Remember, we’re looking at stuff that actually works, which means we’re avoiding the whole cucumber-facial-mask area of treatments. (Unless those actually work; if those actually work, tell us!)
Wrinkle Prevention Tip #1: It’s About What You Put In Your Body
Turns out, what you put in your body is a little more important than what you put on your body. Here’s what we mean by that. Instead of spending our time and money on expensive wrinkle-preventing facial masks, we should drink more water! In fact, here are some generally good things we should be eating and drinking more of to prevent wrinkles:
- We should stay hydrated. Drink more water!
- We should eat tons of foods with antioxidants (those are always good)
- We should eat more fish
- We should quit smoking already—nothing will create wrinkles faster than cigarettes
That’s not to say we’re foolish for keeping a good moisturizer on hand. It’s just that what goes into our body is just as important as what we put on it. And, seriously, stop smoking.
Wrinkle Prevention Tip #2: Botox
We’ll never get sick of hearing about Botox! It might be shocking to hear, but Botox can actually help you prevent wrinkles (in addition to taking them away once they appear). So if we want a way to prevent wrinkles, these quick injections (available at a Med Spa or similar venue) are the way to go.
And we do mean quick. With Botox, we could be in and out in as little as fifteen minutes—we figure that’s why they call it the lunch break makeover. And the best part is, once those wrinkles do finally start showing up (and they will), we can just keep on getting the same treatment!
Botox is definitely a great way to keep those wrinkles at bay.
Wrinkle Prevention Tip #3: Protect the Skin!
Mother Nature can be pretty cruel, and our skin takes the brunt of her harshness (seriously, she’s mean). That damage tends to show itself in the form of wrinkles—and the best way to prevent some of those wrinkles is to protect our skin. There are a few common sense ways to protect our skin (and keep wrinkles away in the process):
- Wear sunscreen: And we don’t mean the cheap stuff. Investing in high-quality sunscreen will help protect your skin from UV rays that would otherwise start breaking down your DNA (and, you know, causing wrinkles). This is one of the most surefire ways to keep your skin looking young.
- Avoid the sun: Well, if we can’t wear sunscreen, we should at least stay out of the sun, right? Really, the sun is one of the biggest causes of wrinkles, so let’s all leave the tanning trend behind, shall we?
- Embrace our sleep cycle: We love to sleep, and now we find out it can be good for our skin? That’s what we call a win-win. Turns out getting a full eight every night can help our skin heal and rejuvenate itself. That rejuvenation, in turn, prevents wrinkles. Now we’re talking win-win-win.
Okay, deep breath: Eventually, those wrinkles are going to show up whether we like it or not. We have to be okay with that. Luckily, once we see those wrinkles, we can get to work making them disappear. Just because we develop wrinkles naturally doesn’t mean we have to like them!